Sunday, September 24, 2006

Oh My God!!

When I was small I used to imagine going to heaven, but I was told that I need to behave to be able to qualify myself to gain entry into the gates of the gods. I used to think God is this blue coloured dude( ujala vala blue) armed with weapons to kill the demons(asuras) and the only person on earth, I mean, outside earth or wherever he is supposed to exist, allowed to have many wives!! I was like wow! this guy has loads of power..
Every function at home used to mean, new clothes, family and delicacies that will make your mouth water for ages.. But then as I started this very addictive process of thinking, I couldn understand why certain 'things' were done in a certain way. I could never get a convincing answer. I found it very difficult to do something or be part of something I did not believe in, by force or otherwise. My family understands.
Navratri starts today. My friends are fasting. The concept is hard for me to comprehend. Fasting according to naturopathy and so many other things is advisable and should be done at times, but if it is done cos you wanna please god or 'bribe' him to grant your wish, there is no point. Food is important, no two ways bout it. The one meal that you willfully forego can feed a whole family that lives below the poverty line. Why not give it to them, if you are in a position to chose whether or not to eat! They have been fasting from the time they were born. None of them have achieved salvation yet!
In the morning I was told to sing the 'aarti'. I like the tune, the way it sounds but it really doesn make sense to me. I dint wanna hurt P so i went on with the proceedings. I can talk to god whenever I want, pre-bath,post-bath or during! He is probably the only person who knows me in and out.. Thats cos its me. Iam god! Sounds extremely ambitious but true. Another thing P doesn let me do is putting the pen in my mouth..I agree its a bad habit.No, disgusting. She said you shouldn do it cos goddess saraswati exists in the pen! And I thought it was the refill that makes it work.
What exactly is mythology? If myth is the antonym for fact, then why does it have such a strong hold on our minds? Why do we keep going back to it? Why has it become an excuse for us to create pollution in the pretext of diwali? Just because a mythological character returned back to where he belonged we fill our lungs with smoke.. as if cigarettes were'nt enough.
Everything is man-made. Even the concept of God. I believe in Nirguna Nirakara Brahma. God doesn look like Rama or Krishna. God looks like u and me. Actually he looks like nothing. Wht does nothing look like? Is he male or female? (I ve'nt heard anyone saying Oh My Goddess!) Well, this is just another concept. Now that the blue colour dude I used to watch on Tv(too much make up can kill the almighty) is angry with my blasphemous behaviour, looks like Iam not going to heaven! Damn I need to fast.. Oh My God!!

12 comments:

bhavna2716 said...

too good yar don't worry u definately got entry in heaven n don't forgot to say him/her or whatever it is!say my hi to that blue dude. bye take care

DaNcEr said...

he he he he suddenly u come up with things like this.., even i keep arguing with my mother abo going to church on sundays, like he listens only if u go to church or do good things, if u want god to notice u i think u should do bad things and then good things may be then he will say this person has improved in life he he he he

Blue said...

wondered abt the same thing...so i asked my friends why do they fast...and i got answers ranging from "i've been doin it since long" to "dont you know navratri's going on". well ..this never answered my question...and it never will...i agree when u say that if at all there is a "god",it in no way can be anthropomorphical .!!
it is amazing to say how majority of the ppl believe in something that can be an illusion

Blue said...

wondered abt the same thing...so i asked my friends why do they fast...and i got answers ranging from "i've been doin it since long" to "dont you know navratri's going on". well ..this never answered my question...and it never will...i agree when u say that if at all there is a "god",it in no way can be anthropomorphical .!!
it is amazing to say how majority of the ppl believe in something that can be an illusion

Anu said...

ppl befor ve done it we blindly follow... its like during exams or time of crisi we prayeer harder than usual or say an extra prayer. that kinda helps us get the feeling of being near God or if its u who is god, to give ureslef the strength to proceed with confidence... all ppl neeed is someone to hold onto so he/she/it is just that!!!
when v are young we have imaginary friends wen we grow up they get another term God!!!

Anu said...

ppl befor ve done it we blindly follow... its like during exams or time of crisi we prayeer harder than usual or say an extra prayer. that kinda helps us get the feeling of being near God or if its u who is god, to give ureslef the strength to proceed with confidence... all ppl neeed is someone to hold onto so he/she/it is just that!!!
when v are young we have imaginary friends wen we grow up they get another term God!!!

Anonymous said...

We are Gods no doubt in it. But we forget that and act in a different way. Rama and Krishna are individuals. they are typical characters one is happy with one lady but the other is with so many. Dont you see such characters around u in the present world. But something is there behind all these stories.
Hey! don't think that the fasting is done for pleasing the Gods. I think it is just to make you face the hard times.. suppose if u don't get food of your choice you should be able to survive with what you get or what u have. In the olden times they were teaching the children by telling them that 'if u dont do it God will punish u'. Have i ever told u like that? Those days the children were not so smart enough to ask their parents. The small children,students and office goers need not have to fast. WE need energy to work. It is meant for others.
OK If u dont want to fast dont do it. Don't think that the person who is fasting do not want to feed the poor!

After biting the pen or the finger just smell it and see why they are telling like that?
It is not diwali it is deepavali.
The word "Diwali" is the corruption of the Sanskrit word "Deepavali" -- Deepa meaning light and Avali, meaning a row. It means a row of lights and indeed illumination forms its main attraction. I also don't believe in 'Ravan ko jalana' and pollute the air.Rabindranath Tagore has so aptly put forth the true significance of Diwali in these beautiful lines:

"The night is black Kindle the lamp of LOVE With thy life and devotion."

Finally the heaven is here only one can make it a hell if one wants. If everything is man made who has made the man, water, air, earth, fire and the sky?

Me Thinks.. said...

@amma see the very seem ppl who fast, crib when they dont see the food they expected or wanted to eat..i never said u imposed anything on me..i said my family understands..all iam saying is if any ritual hampers your daily routine its not worth it..there is someone above us but everything else is created by man..theory of evolution!! also created by man!!

Cosmos said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cosmos said...

This is true even I dont fast to please God. But sometings depends on nature which helps you in your further life. You can get entry in heaven without fasting.
your thoughts are realy making sense to me but the knowledge i have about fast that push me to do this on a particular time.

Anonymous said...

According to the sacred texts, God is indeed formless.

As the yugas progressed, the spiritual capacity of mankind diminished. In the Kali Yuga, it is not possible for man to meditate on the formless and infinite nature of god. And the only way to attain salvation is by utterance of the lord's divine name.

Rituals indeed have meaning. And scientific backing too. It's just that most people do not know the significance of the rituals they're supposed to follow.

Finally, following religious practices is no doubt, a personal expression of faith. But faith in what, you might ask. In someone having more powers? In someone who created you?

It's not about foregoing a meal for someone less fortunate. It's not about who smokes how many cigarettes or pollutes how much of the air... It's just about knowing that you yourself are a part of God as much as he is a part of you. Realizing the cosmic truth is something that you are blessed with... Blessed by someone/something you can't ever describe...

Anonymous said...

we could go on back and forth about god, religion and riturals and not get anywhere. yeah, we all have this eternal conflict with our partents/relatives/elders...y rituals.
but i really do like wat ur amma said.
rituals were created with an intent, the only problem, as AC says, is that the reason is somewhere lost in habbit.somewhere down the lane, we stopped asking y.n i guess, now wen some of us are regaining that habbit, it difficult for others, who wanna take the easy way out.
heaven, hell, saraswati in the pen, these i always ve believed are for people who need an easy way for find god, or rather, be gud.
at the end of the day, all these rituals ask us, is to be good.to be grateful, for life, for us. :) we jus need to relearn that one tiny fact.

Coming of Age

Did you know the Japanese have a coming-of-age holiday? So, every year, the second Monday of January is a national holiday to celebrate...