Monday, October 13, 2008

Few More Pages Left

Its weird. I have been wanting to write for so long, I know this is my oft-repeated phrase in almost every post, but this time it's not because of a lack of ideas for a great lead, but because this is weird.

What provoked me to write was not the usual bad mood or the unusual happiness. It was something I thought I had lost touch with. And once I lose touch I don't go back to it. Good or bad, thats me. This is quite surprising.

Now that I am hoping you want to know what it is that I am yapping about, I somehow seem to have lost track of what I actually wanted to begin with. I digress..(this is what happens when you don't blog and read your old posts and wonder if you actually wrote them).

Cricket. I want to talk cricket. I was flipping through the pages of The Week, getting stuck at the US presidential debate, wondering whether I wanted McCain or Obama and then when the author said Hillary is a great debator, I told myself I was never one.

Then I struggled past Kamal Nath's interview and then two pages of Godhra and the Nanavati report. And finally I came to the cover story: Kangaroo Catcher -- Sachin has a target, so do the Aussies. I know I could have directly gone to the cover story if I so wanted to read it, but I wanted to build the excitement for myself.

I read and I read and I read some more. I am not one of Sachin's greatest fans. Everyone loves him and thats one reason I don't. I admire him, I respect his talent, he is great no doubt, but while I was reading the article, one thought that crossed my mind was that I have read the same thing about him several times over. SEVERAL TIMES OVER. So much so that these reports are as predictable as a wrong umpiring decision!

Such is his greatness and what he has given to the game. The report had one full para on Dravid and what is expected of him. No I am not gonna talk about him. I want to talk about someone who will be covered 'exclusively' on every news channel, in every newspaper for the next few days, weeks and months.

About someone who I have rarely spoken about but I greatly adore. Saurav Ganguly.

And because I am part of the media, I will talk about him on my post. More importantly, cos he pushed me to write.

He is retiring. And so am I. Cricket without him is like Billy Bowden without his weirdness. (I know I am trying too hard) And now I cant write anymore.

Saurav is going and I will miss him. Period.

The off-side is never gonna be the same.

Fewer run-outs are depressing.

That dynamism and energy on the field, that magnetic effect that makes you want to want more of him: I wish.

The aggression that made a so-called timid Indian team realize its potential.

His stance: his stylish stance. Two legs, slightly outside the crease, and the bat comes down. He doesn't defend.

The attacker that gave birth to the killer instinct.

Shall be missed..

Few more pages left to be read..........

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The return of Me Thinks...Oh Happy Day! Not a huge Ganguly fan...but if you write about him...will always read... needless to say...am a complete groupie of yours... Being a fan of one out of two Ses is not a bad thing eh? :D

Pavitra said...

What do you mean by he is retiring and so am I?

Good to see you back MT :-)

Cosmos said...

Dada, what ever happened with him but he will be one of the greatest Indian cricket skipper forever. And I agree off-side will not be the same.
Hope next time your intro will be changed ;)
Welcome back and keep it on

mystupendoussalvation said...

Hey!! MT... Welcome Back! with no so usual MT bang types.. but yes!! I am happy that at last U wrote.. n the comment on blog.everyone has their own place n importance whether its in media, political party, terrorism, government, entertainment, tv or lets say in Personal Relationship. Period. So Everything shall be MISSED.... Keep going.. few more pages are left to post ;)

Ree said...

ok...i have to write, this is a limit, i have been waiting forever and u know...it iant writer's block...its just...well...suddenly doodling makes more sense for a while and we stop. im glad ur back. hopefully, this shud be able to pull me back too.

Anu said...

If I was as crazy as dada then I would have taken off my tee shirt, saluted and waved him goodbye!!!

But thats all his man!

:) Great Stroke and a great bloke!

Anonymous said...

Yeyeyee.....finally Sadie wrote bout Humare Ganguly bhaiya :)
I nva knw u were also in our crowd !! hehe....M obliged tat u gave space to Dada in ur post.
Ur concern n likeness for him....waoww...
"The aggression that made a so-called timid Indian team realize its potential" very true...Ganguly and other team members should read this.
Keep Writing :)

Ree said...

COME BACK COME BACK COME BACK

aks said...

yesh...i too do miss our own dada for no different reasons...
yes u mite kill me if i said...no one else in the team hits sixers as gracefully as he did for over a decade...
thats what made the wild tiger roar with grace...
luved reading the blog...
btw i completely forgot who is this(lifeslikethat)
LOlz
cheers
aks

angelofdusk said...

blog more!! we miss MT!!

Pavitra said...

Hey you've gotta start writing...life will fly by and ur gonna miss this page a helluva lot! Buck up girl! :-)

Coming of Age

Did you know the Japanese have a coming-of-age holiday? So, every year, the second Monday of January is a national holiday to celebrate...